Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Updated Sock Monkey Hat

Alterations to Crochet Sock Monkey Hat

Do you ever have projects that you're just not happy with?

Even though you've done everything "right" according to the pattern... there's something about it which leaves you cold?

I'm sure you must have had this happen - I can't be the only one, can I?

Remember the Crochet Sock Monkey Hat from last week?

Something wasn't right about it...

Mostly it was the eyes. I knew that they were too dark on the face, and didn't POP enough....

But I had tried a whole bunch of different buttons, including a variety of light ones - and none of them made me happy. The wooden ones I ended up using were the best of a bad bunch!

I tried adding a cream crochet circle behind the eyes, to give them some lift - but they were a disaster. They made him look like some freakish kind of alien monkey (not that there's anything wrong with that - it just wasn't the look I was going for).

So I sat with it for a while... and ended up going back to those crochet circles, but this time I made them in a really light gum leaf green colour. That way they weren't so stark against the face, and it set them apart from the muzzle.

I'm much happier with them now!

And thanks to Loren's suggestion, I've also added an extra stitch at each end of the mouth, to turn it up slightly into a smile.

Here's how the face looked before:

Sock Monkey Hat

And how he looks now:

Alterations to Crochet Sock Monkey Hat

Not a HUGE difference, but I find him much more lovable!

2 comments:

Loren said...

Wow! Much better now :)

crotchetywife said...

It doesn't take much for something to go from ok to WOW! I like the look of the updated hat.