Friday, June 22, 2012

Urban Jungle

Urban Jungle

Couldn't quite decide on how to embellish this one - so I'm using it as a blank canvas for whatever brooch I would like to showcase on the day...

Urban Jungle

See?

Urban Jungle

So this one is another Free Pattern available online.

It's called Urban Jungle and is designed by Vicki Howell.

As you can see, it's a Crocheted Slouchy Beanie!


Now for my modifications:
  • I worked an invisible join for the rounds… which looks MUCH better than the join the pattern asks you to do! Sl st into the top of the 1st puff stitch to finish the round, then sl st into the next ch-1 sp… work puff st in this space to begin the new round 
  • I used a 4mm hook for band, then a 5mm hook for remainder of hat... don't really remember why... I think that it was to make the band stitches tighter, and less likely to stretch.
And my other thoughts:
  •  All those puff sts really CHEW through the yarn!!! They make the hat very heavy too. Perhaps next time I would make smaller puff stitches, using only two or three wraps? 
  • I know that I made the large size - because I have a large head - but really, the small one would have been fine!
 Urban Jungle

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your patterns. How do you make the invisible join?

laughing purple goldfish said...

You're welcome...
The pattern asks you to ch3 at the beginning of each round, and then join with a slip stitch at the end of the round. I found that this left a really obvious join. Instead I did the following: Sl st into the top of the 1st puff stitch to finish the round, then sl st into the next ch-1 sp… work puff st in this space to begin the new round. Hope that helps.

KAF said...

Wow this place is jumping. You have been making so many fabulous things. Belated Happy Birthday to Charlotte, and Happy Birthday to you too. :)

mattabellax3 said...

This is gorgeous and I love your modifications!

Anonymous said...

Hi thanx for posting! I'm noticing that when I do this I managed to het first row to be 36 stitches but the next 4are 37 puffs? It seems that I'm going on a diagnol now am I doing something wrong? Thank you oh yeah I couldn't figure out how to start so I did chain 3 on first row of single crochet then 2nd row I did slip stitch? Is that right? Thank you!