Monday, April 23, 2012

Alice Springs Beanie Festival...

IMG_2760

Have you heard about the Alice Springs Beanie Festival???

It's a HUGE community event which happens every June in Central Australia.It started out as a way for Aboriginal women to sell their crochet beanies, but has now expanded into a celebration for all artists to join in together. There's loads of workshops to attend, exhibitions to behold, and fellow crafters to befriend!

Have you ever been?

I would love to go - but just to give you an idea, Alice Springs is 2276km from my home... that's a driving time of 23 hours and 12 mins... Approximately... If you don't stop to pee...

Maybe one year... And I'll take my dear friend Dawnie-Pants with me...and Jonnine - you can meet us there!

Anyway, each year there is a Beanie Competition, with a bunch of different categories. You can check them out here if you are interested.

I've chosen this one:

3. Favourite Bedtime yarn.
Remember being tucked up in bed and hearing or reading a story that transported you. The characters, the faraway places, the imaginary friends. Bring them back to life in your favourite beanie.

And as you might have guessed from the sketch I shared on Friday - I'm working with Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Here's the progress so far. You'll have to ignore those little black threads all over the right hand side. I started working on the hair, and then changed my mind about how I was going to do it.

I do that.

A lot.

IMG_2761


2 comments:

Pam Sykes (aka Pretty Knitty) said...

love (1000)

Twigwoman said...

I know whatever you finally do it will be amazingly amusing, quirky unique original and totally inspirational!!! Have at it and thanx in advance for sharing your joy skills and humor with us all!!