Wednesday, August 11, 2010

dreary weather

P8100043

Well, today is one of the dreariest days we've had this winter...

Cold... dark... wet...

Sitting here listening to the pounding of heavy raindrops on the corrugated iron roof.

It's kind of day which makes me long for a wood burning fire...

And makes me miss my mum.

On a day like today, she'd have a roaring fire going. She'd assume her position, stretched out like a cat on the mat (which always amused me, since she could barely tolerate cats) Soaking in every possible wave of radiated heat. Sometimes she'd lie there for hours at a time. Even when she couldn't get up or down without assistance. It was her favourite place to be. And I would lie beside her. It still feels all wrong to walk into that house, and not see her there.

Anyway...

We don't have a wood fire here.

Instead I've opted for the simmering pot of G.P.S. on the stove all afternoon. In case you're wondering, that would be Garlicky Potato Soup. For some reason, my family are obsessed with acronyms - and like to have our own little codes for everything. It's been that way for more years than I care to remember, and not likely to change any time soon.

But I'm getting off-track again.

The delicious aroma of slow cook onions and garlic is filtering through the house. The windows are getting a little steamy, and I'm terribly tempted to draaw a smiley face on the glass with my fingertip.

But I resist.

Since I'll be the one who has to clean it up...

I'm feeling in a bit of a limbo at the moment. Don't really know what to do with myself. I have 100s of projects in progress (no exaggeration, unfortunately) and yet I'm wanting to start something new.

And I can't decide whether to indulge myself or not.

What to do?

7 comments:

vjesticica said...

Light a candle in the window for your mum and watch it burn.
Eat some of that delicious G.P.S. and have a snooze.
You'll feel better after that.
than pick a random basket and resume a random WIP.
big hug

L said...

Lovely Kitchen, if it makes you feel any better we have been having a HOT summer here in the southern states and that sounds wonderful;)

misha said...

I like vjesticica's recommendation so much that I can't think of anything better. I know you won't understand it but I long for some of that dreary weather with days of tropical heat that we've had here.

julie said...

All of the above, other suggestions maybe beer, wine, craft!

Kim said...

Your descriptions make me long for winter. I love the excuse to get all cozy in front of a fire and not have to explain why you just don't want to do anything for the moment! While I know why/how it's winter there and summer here (upper 90's ick!!), I still sometimes can't believe that it can be so hot here and so cold there (and vice versa). Nature is something isn't it!

Teresa said...

That soup looks amazing. Could you post the recipe?

Stra said...

A little combustion stove need not be expensive. Just needs some slate or tiles as a hearth. A small quaint one. Its so therapeutic to sit by in winter. It would give you years of joy, and make the dreary days so much nicer. Plus you could make Christmas stockings for it and hang them off the fire screen each year :-)