Friday, September 18, 2009

are you my friend yet?

Are we friends over at Ravelry yet?

I know that lots of us are... and it's a really handy way of keeping in touch when I am away from Blogland. Not that I'm addicted or anything... well, not much!

Anyway, my username over there is laughingpurple (the character limit didn't allow for laughingpurplegoldfish) and if you click here it will take you to my profile. Add me as a friend, so that I can add you back... and stalk you!

I'm joking about the stalking part... but serious about the rest...

Anyway

The other day I was out shopping.

On the path outside the shops was a gorgeous little sparrow, but as I approached him he didn't move away, which seemed kind of weird. I walked right past him, and still he didn't move. In fact, I had to walk around him to avoid stepping on him... but still he seemed unperterbed. He looked well, wasn't at all distressed... but just wouldn't move...

I watched for a little while to see what would happen. Hoping he would fly away, or at the very least to get out of the way of the pedestrian traffic. Or maybe someone would stop and gently move him across to the garden bed...

Actually, I really wanted to move him myself... but I'm not really a toucher of animals. I know that sounds ridiculous, I mean I'm quite capable of patting a cat or a dog, but that's as far as I go. If I had picked up that bird and he had struggled at all, I would have totally freaked out, screamed like a six year old girl and flung him away from me (probably onto the road, or into the shop window)

I know it sounds pathetic - I'm a thirty-eight year old grown woman, for Heaven's sake! I've been through childbirth three times, and touched countless icky kid messes... Why couldn't I help a harmless little bird?

I was still really annoyed with myself later that day, when I came across this fridge magnet...

roosevelt magnet

Do one thing every day that scares you - Eleanor Roosevelt

I was so inspired by it, that I had to buy it and bring it home with me.

And it really got me thinking about the things that scare me. Silly little things. Irrational fears.

One thing for sure. Next time I will be the person who stops to help the bird.

What scares you?

7 comments:

Ashley said...

now we are! =D knotsbyashley on rav.

heklica said...

We are friends, I'm heklica there (misha was taken). What scares me? The list is long, my husband would say. Car accidents if we are talking at a serious level. Otherwise, the usual stuff: snakes, creepy-crawlies, bats (we had them fly into the apartment twice - I literally went to hide under the duvet!). And yes, I can't make myself touch fish, so I guess I'm not a toucher of fish :)

Mary said...

I get the whole bird thing, I have a girlfriend who feels similarly. For me my big irrational fear is the no. 54. (that was even hard to type and I don't want to look it at written there) Silly yes I know but there it is, I even skip it when counting and make it up by counting a better loved number twice. I hope I'm over it before I reach that age or I'll have a whole year of agony!! and yes feel free to laugh as I know it is ridiculous.

KMDuff said...

added you on ravelry b/c its your fault I'm doing the CAL this year. LOL. :) Though the 6" is all i could commit to. =allyall

Siena said...

I love that quote - and it reminded me of my old favourite "The sunscreen song":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI
I am scared of the dark, entering a stage and beeing with people more intelligent than myself. But I truly believe in confronting my fears. Last week I visited a stich`n`bitch in a remote town where I knew nobody, pretty scary too...

susanc said...

Spiders.

Loca4crafts said...

I just added you as a friend on Ravelry. I love your blog :)