Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mothers' Day

It's that time of year again... the time when we all ponder and stew over what to buy our Mums for Mothers' Day. That one day of the year when we are particularly mindful of all the sacrifices our Mum has made for us over the years, and we want to thank her appropriately.

I prefer to make my Mothers' Day gift if I can. Mum always encouraged and praised my crafting endeavors throughout childhood (as long as I cleaned up after myself) so it seemed fitting to handcraft a gift for her. But what??? I was really stumped this year.

Mum has been desperately unwell for quite some time now. I wanted to make her a gift that would lift her spirits, and not necessarily something that would also be practical. Part of her treatment has been regular ongoing platelet transfusions. So somewhere in the playground that is my mind, I came up with the idea of creating an 'emergency bag of platelets' for her.

Platelets are responsible for helping your blood to clot. Microscopically they look like little plates (thus the name platelets) and they have thorny tentacle-like protrusions which help them to mesh together nicely when clotting is required. I like to think that they also have shiny eyes and a fabulous big smile... but this is yet to be scientifically proven.

click here for pattern

 emergency bag of platelets

As it turns out... these little guys were very well received, and Mum was able to have a good giggle about them. We all did.

platelets

8 comments:

Rima said...

So great! I couldnt help smiling.

Jossan said...

That was a great idea! And how cute and funny those platelets (hope i spelled right) are!
I will keep your bag in mind, and make something similar I think. Such a good idea! :D

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

If you're willing, I'd love to have the pattern for those platelets. My sister has had problems with low platelet count, so I'd like to make some for her.

Thanks!

Karen said...

What wonderful, creative, joyful expressions of love. They dance!

Anonymous said...

The perfect present. What an absolutely lovely idea, and it looks so cute!!

søren said...

those are awesome. If you wrote out the platelet pattern, I bet there are lots of people who could use some! :)

Sam said...

Such a beautiful idea.

laughing purple goldfish said...

thanks everyone :)

pattern is now available... I have added a link to it in the post above